Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lame Deer & Devils Tower


Devils Tower

After an hour of driving on Rt 90 through Montana, I decided to turn off and take the back roads. What a beautiful thing. No cops, no trucks, no cars, and the few people I did pass waved to me, or tipped their cowboy hat.

I made my way about 60 miles before I found gas. A close call. Especially since I still have no cell service. I roll into the sparse town of Lame Deer, MT. Minutes after entering, I see 10 kids on four wheelers, 6 people riding horses, and 50 to 100 people walking the dirt roads. The town was old and beautiful: Robert Adams beautiful, not Ansel Adams. The economy is obviously depressed, and the town was littered with "I Am Meth Clean" stickers. Lame Deer is in the middle of Cheyenne Country. About 95% of the people I saw were American-Indian. I spent a few hours taking photos, and I was even invited into the home of local who wanted to show me the Buffalo head in his bedroom. He explained how he places the skull face down to keep its spirit from escaping. He then invited me to a Sweat. I denied. It was a fun few hours. And a needed boost.

I then headed to Devils Tower, and the to Deadwood, SD, where I stayed the night. I'm finally off to Mt. Rushmore today. And then no more screwing around, I'm getting my ass home.

Labels: