Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Home Stretch?


Coon Hunters, Boonville, N. Carolina, 2007

I leave for CA early next week, and it finally hit me that Boonville, CA will be my final destination on this ten-month journey. From time to time I think hard about where I am, and how I got here, and I am still shocked that it is happening -- and yet it is almost over. Somebody recently asked me if I am able to enjoy the actual journey and process. I want to say that I do, and that it is great. But the truth is that I will probably have a much stronger understanding of it while I am sitting at home a year from now, looking over all my notes, and snapshots from this process. I do enjoy it. And I do love it. But can I really fully understand and experience it in real time? I think I am, but I wonder how this journey will affect me over time.

I’m getting really nervous that this is almost finished. I can’t wait to go home, but I often feel like I am just getting started. The plan has always been to revisit each of the communities at least once more, for a week or so at a time. I look forward to that: Seeing all my friends, and taking another look at my notes, and previous images. I do not plan on stretching this project out any farther then I need to. But something is only done when it is done.

My biggest worry right now is money. As of February, I have exhausted all of my funds -- Gas and film developing are the main culprits. I know it shouldn’t be on my mind, because it will just add more pressure to the process, but that is reality. I’m currently working on making a few 11x14” fiber prints available for sale at a low price, to help get my film developer paid (he is currently working on IOUs) and to get me through Boonville, CA. More on that soon…

The last four days have been great. They have been filled with absolutely nothing. I was out taking pictures the other day, and I ran into John and his dog, Edie. John is in his mid-twenties, and lives in an apartment on the former site of Boonville, Texas. He kindly invited me to stay over for a night (I was in a motel for 3 days before that because of the cold). One night turned into four, and I did nothing but sit in John’s apartment watching the likes of Family Guy, Freaks and Geeks, the Discover and History channel, and South Park. It was absolutely wonderful, and a much needed dose of brainless Television. I did feel a bit guilty at times, but if I have learned anything about my low points, it’s to listen to and embrace them. I did shoot a bit while I was at John’s. But it was mostly inside his apartment, and a few portraits of him behind the complex.

Over the last seven months, there has been somewhat of a structure to the trip, and to the towns. Boonville, Texas is not a town, and it has thrown me for a bit of a loop. I'm enjoying the challenge, but it has definitely lived up to its "question mark" status. The work here has become a bit more conceptual, which feels great, and it works, but overall it has been a shock to the system.

Last night, while back at the camp, I went through almost all of the work I have shot to date. I am very excited about getting home and putting it all together. I haven’t looked at some of it for five or six months. It’s interesting how certain things pop out at me now, and actually make sense. I hope to see more of that when I get home.

I have a new site up. It's in the early stages. www.timothybriner.com

Labels: