Thursday, February 21, 2008

Boonville, Texas


Cracked Gravestone, Boonville Cemetery, Bryan, TX

I'm currently camping near a lake in Bryan, TX. I was wrong in my previous post, Boonville became extinct around the late 1860s, and it looks like, from the map I got yesterday, that the town was less then a square mile.

There are a lot of different things going on in that small space. In the former town limits there is now an expressway, two car dealerships, a few broken and abandoned homes, a farm, and the outer edges of three or four different subdivisions. The Boonville cemetery is the only remaining sign that a town existed there, and it is huge.

I've been racking my head trying to figure out how to approach this town, and I think I got it. But it is early, and it has been a rough start. Camping hasn't been great. I was rained out last night and a few kids decided to party till 2am near my tent. I'm in good spirits though and have already made many contacts with the people who own the "old boonville" land. Still more to go. To be continued...

P.S. I was on the local news. Watch it here. It's very short.

Labels: