Friday, February 8, 2008

The Walker


still life w/ serial killers, 1991, JoAnn Verburg

I made it over to the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, MN yesterday to take in the hype, and the new show by JoAnn Verburg. I've never been a great fan of hers, but that changed yesterday. I was drawn to the color work she did in the early 90s. It really amazed me -- Three works specifically, I couldn't stop exploring them.

One of the images is above, titled still life w/ serial killers, 1991. This image was taken in Italy while vacationing with her husband (I believe they always split the year between MN and Italy). She had gone to the market to get some flowers, and when she returned, she noticed the paper that was chosen to wrap her beautiful bouquet had a cover story about Serial Killers in America; The article discussed why such things happen there (here), and came complete with a photo of Jeffery Damer and Charles Manson. The irony and composition, along with the juxtaposition of the selection of postcards, the reflection of the bed, and the paper, continues to amaze me. Listen to her speak about the piece, here. My favorite image could not be found online, but her explanation of it might be just as effective. listen to JoAnn Verburg discuss Secrets: Iraq, 1991, here. Stunning.

Most of the work that I was greatly drawn to were images that she has taken of her every day surroundings. One thing that I have struggled with (or maybe have a lack of interest in) is capturing my daily and repetitive actions. This has changed a lot on this trip. But normally I have a difficult time with this while I am home. These images were very inspiring.

A performance piece (if that is the correct term) by Tino Sehgal was also very moving. The piece was titled Propaganda, 2002. I went back to experience it five times. It was beautiful and I continue to hear it in the back of my head. You can hear about his process, here.

Labels: