Sunday, February 3, 2008

Influence & Inspiration


From Vacancy, 2004-2005

I recently had a conversation with someone about influences and inspirations, and the fine line they both inhabit.

I struggled before this trip to wipe away all my previous influences. I was having a creative block for a few years, and started to be greatly influenced by (copying) other artists’ (diCorcia's) shooting styles, without really even being aware of it. (example above)
“A student might see a great work of art and say to himself, 'This is a great work of art. I want to make a great work of art, too.' And so, the student sets out to try to do so. And if he has some talent, he might produce something that looks just as though it were a great work of art—almost convincing. If one didn’t know any better one might actually mistake it for a work of art. The only problem is that the great work of art that the student so admired was not a product of these same motives. It was the by-product of these same motives. It was the by-product of the artist’s personal quest.” – Stephen Shore
Many people say, "it has all been done before anyway, so how can you not be copying something, somewhere down the line?" Maybe I believed that once, especially when I moved on to my next big influence after diCorcia, and my work started to look like everything else being created at the time. But I don't believe that anymore. And I do believe there are many talented and unique voices out there doing very original things. Whalead Beshty and David Claerbout are my go-to unique voices. Not that they aren't being inspired by art before them, because they obviously are, but what they are doing, along with many other people, is truly inspiring and always changing.

My current work is not without a level of influence either (did I just contradict myself?). During this trip I have often referred back to and even explored the philosophy and vision of some of the photographers I greatly admire (Evans/Frank/Sander/Soth/Winograd/Tice). But I now understand that the fine line that is inspiration and influence is actually a paradox. And that the "personal quest" isn't something that you can copy or create, it is a state of mind. It is your inner most thoughts and fears. And inspiration and influence, at that point, is simply that.


Connie & Carla, 2004

I spent a few months before this trip looking at the work I created over the last eight years, and I tried to find that early voice, the one that screamed "Go out and create something original, make mistakes!" Because what is the point of just doing it safe? Those moments for me were priceless and inspiring; The times that I went out because of love and curiosity, and the times I made mistakes, which opened up the possibilities of something new. Lycanthrope was created in 2004, and I feel it was probably the last original and exciting thing I created.


Self-Portrait from Lycanthrope, 2004

The beginning of the Boonville trip was extremely difficult because I found that I had truly lost my voice. And the journey quickly turned into a vessel for me to find it.

The work that I was producing in Boonville, Missouri, in August, was good but not great. North Carolina showed improvement, but I was still lagging behind my expectations. Boonville, NY was a leap; I produced some stuff that I was really excited about, and it was turning point in my thinking, my work, and my ideas. But it wasn't until Boonville, Indiana that I started to feel my own ideas and vision really come together as one. I have not felt this way for years. I'm excited about the work, the future and my ideas. And I am excited to wake up everyday and explore new subjects and to make mistakes.

After a long journey, and a few psychological hurdles over the last couple of years, the work is finally my own, again.

Labels: