Sunday, January 20, 2008

High School Recap + Day off



Yesterday was the first successful day off that I have had in awhile. I thought very little about photography, and a lot about absolutely nothing. It was grand.

Friday was another crazy day. Not as physically demanding as Thursday, in which I photographed about thirty students spread out across creation, but demanding, physically and psychologically.

I'm glad to report that I didn't make any mistakes. And if I did, I caught them all right on the spot. Between Thursday and Friday I photographed roughly forty-five students. Friday I photographed a few swimmers, volleyball players, watched and photographed the Homecoming game, and then I photographed the King + Queen at the Homecoming Dance, as well as a few others.

I am extremely excited about the photos taken. And I feel that a few of them may be some of the best stuff to date. I've never taken that many portraits in two days before. I scheduled a lot of things back-to-back, which I knew was a mistake, and surely added to the rush, but I had no choice. Everything, minus a few shots at the game, was taken with my 4/5 and strobes. The gear that was on my back and over my shoulder for those two days was crazy. Each image took about 35-45 minutes on average to set-up and shoot. I had an amazing time. The teachers and staff were all very accommodating and supportive. The kids were very open to me and the camera, not too mention very smart and really funny. Some were really funny.

Even though I had planned on sleeping in, I awoke early on Saturday. So I took advantage and went to the Boonville Cafe to get my favorite breakfast. It's called the "Hobo," and that is all I am telling you. Except that it is awesome, and I have eaten about twenty-five Hobos since I arrived. My day off was excellent: I watched Twin Peaks at the Cafe while eating my Hobo, watched a basketball game, took a nap, read, and then I did something I have not done in months, I watched a movie at "home" while eating a burrito! It was a chicken burrito with the works, and I was watching Amadeus. Perfect day off. And I am doing it all over again. With the wind chill, it is two degrees out right now, so I will spend the day at a bar watching the football games, and then come home and eat another burrito! And watch the Godfather! And then back to work in the morning!

Labels: