Sunday, February 17, 2008

Bryan/Boonville, Texas


View Larger Map


Above is the area in which Boonville, Texas once inhabited. The only remaining sign of Boonville's existence is Boonville Road, and the Boonville Cemetery. Boonville was incorporated and became the County Seat of Brazos County in the late 1870s. By the early 1900s it was a ghost town.

Just as many traditional American values are suffering today because of our need for convenience, so too was Boonville, TX. In the late 1890s the railroad came into Bryan, TX, the neighboring community, and everyone but a few deserted Boonville for the new form of transportation, and ways of receiving goods.

I arrive tomorrow morning. We are currently looking for the person in charge of the Cemetery so I can have full access, and I have an appointment with an area judge whose great-grandfather is buried there. I am very curious about this forgotten town. I've been thinking about it for a long time now, and I am still unsure how I am going to approach it. Tomorrow should be very interesting.

Labels: